|Library Board Information
Elgin, IL 60124
|FRIDAY & SATURDAY||9am-6pm|
• Recipient of the 2009 National Medal
for Museum and Library Services
• Recipient of the 2010 Elgin Hispanic Network
Organization of the Year
• Main Library opened in October 2003 - 139,980 sq ft
• Take a Virtual Tour of the Main Library
• Third largest public library building in Illinois,
after Chicago and Schaumburg
• Rakow Branch opened in August 2009 - 10,598 sq ft.
• Serve 144,597 residents in Elgin, South Elgin and portions
of Hoffman Estates, Streamwood and Bartlett
• Serve the 5th largest library population
after the cities of Chicago, Aurora, Rockford and Joliet
• 99,637 (68.9%) of residents are cardholders
• Largest library district in the State of Illinois for population served
• 1,003,210 visitors
• Over 2,302,410 items loaned
• 334,084 books + 197, 806 = 531, 893 items in collections
• Over 1600 library programs attended by 66,000 people
5 year comparison
Information Desk: 847-429-4680
Youth Desk: 847-429-4685
Movies, Music, & More Desk:
The library has a variety of ways that you can lend a helping hand and volunteer.
The Foundation is a nonprofit organization which has established a permanent fund to improve library services to residents of the Gail Borden Public Library District.
Donations to the Library
The library accepts donations of new and used books, and audiovisual materials. The items may be used to enhance the library collection or to provide inventory for the Library Foundation Book Sale.