The Gail Borden Public Library is thankful for donations. Please bear in mind, that we cannot accept everything. We have put together the guide below to assist with donations. The library accepts donations of new and used books, and audiovisual materials. The items may be used to enhance the library collection or to provide inventory for the Friends of Library Book Sale.
The following donations are accepted:
- Hardcover fiction and non-fiction materials
- Paperbacks in good condition
- Books on tape or CD
- Videocassettes or DVDs
- Music CDs or cassettes
- CD-ROMs or Video Games
The library cannot accept the following items:
- Books in poor physical condition
(damaged covers, broken spines, or with smoke or mold damage)
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Magazines or catalogs
- Textbooks over 5 years old
- Encyclopedias over 5 years old
- Incomplete sets of dated books
- Outdated formats, damaged, or privately recorded audiovisual materials.
For books that cannot be accepted as a donation consider recycling. Kane County accepts books for recycling at their Recycling Days, please check the Kane County website for dates and times.
- Donations may be dropped off at the library during normal business hours
at the Customer Service desk in the lobby of the main library.
- Larger donations can be dropped off Monday-Friday between 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
at the loading dock on the north side of the building at 270 N. Grove Ave.
Staff should be available to help with donations during those hours.
- Gifts to the library are tax deductible. The library is not in a position to make appraisals and does not attempt to place a value on the items received. A Donation of Materials form is available for your use and you may pick one up when you drop off materials.
- Please be aware that all donations become the property of the library to be used or disposed of in the best interest of the library. Due to the volume of donations and sorting procedures, it is not possible to reclaim materials once they have reached the library. If the items are used for the Foundation Book Sale, all proceeds are used for the benefit of the library.
- Monetary gifts can be made in the name of a person or to commemorate a special occasion. The Library acknowledges memorial gifts by sending a letter to the person or organization designated by the donor. A customized memorial bookplate can be placed in the donated item upon request. For further information, call 847-742-2411 or make inquiries in any department of the library.