The Computer Center has 60 computers with Windows 7 available for use. All PCs have access to the internet, word-processing capabilities and the library's electronic resources. In addition to computers, b&w printers, a color printer, scanners and typewriter are available for use in the Computer Center.
We also have some equipment that you can check out for use in the Computer Center: scanners, a memory card reader, an external DVD writer, toys for kids, and a large-type keyboard for the vision-impaired.
For sale in the Computer Center we have:
- CD-Rs for $2.00
- 8 GB flash drives for $5.00
- Earbud headphones for $1.00
- Manila folders for $0.25
Printing costs $0.10 per page in black and white, and $0.50 per page in color.
The library's purpose in providing these computers is to encourage self-instruction and personal enrichment in computer technology.
Basic assistance is provided by staff —but users assume responsibility for learning to use the software.
- Computers are available on a "drop-in" basis and may not be reserved ahead of time.
- Present your library card - either one from Gail Borden or one from another library that's been registered in our system.
- Visitors without a valid library card need to go to the computer lab and ask for a guest pass. This will allow a non-card holder to use a computer for 30 minutes.
- Children who are under eight years of age must be accompanied by an adult.
- Computer and typewriter users are limited to two hours per day.
- Patrons under the age of eighteen are prohibited from giving personal information over the Internet without parental guidance.
- Please be respectful of others in the Computer Center. Library staff reserves the right to terminate a patron's computer session when disruptions occur.
- The computers are set up for individual use. However, a patron may be assisted by one other individual. No more than two people will be allowed to work at each workstation during a time slot.
- Computer users may print on their own paper if they wish. However, they will still be charged as if they were using library paper (i.e., 10¢ a page for black-and-white and 50¢ a page for color).
- Computer users are permitted to plug their own headphones or ear-buds into the jacks provided. They may also purchase ear-buds at the service desk.
- Computer users are encouraged to save any created files to floppy disks, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, USB drives or the cloud.
- The computers must not be used for the transmission of material that is unlawful, obscene or otherwise inappropriate. Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in patron suspension.
- Computer users are not permitted to load or run their own software on any computers at the Gail Borden Public Library.
- Unauthorized duplication of any copyrighted material is illegal under the current copyright laws. The library does not permit, encourage or condone piracy.
- Misuse of any computer or its related equipment will result in the loss of computer privileges, plus the cost of repair or replacement of any damaged equipment.